The Pievecchia: An ancient Tuscan parish where we wine is produced

A story of Abbots and sailors to the present day

In the area surrounding Florence there are still many ancient villas, ancient farms, which have passed the ravages of time: these include the Pievecchia, since 1999 annexed to the the Grignano estate. The earliest records of the building – which is named after the medieval parish church which is lies next to it – date back to the mid 1600s: in those years the main building was left as a legacy to the Abbots of Villombrosa, which will keep it for about a century when it will pass onto the Archbishopric of Florence. After 1860 the date of the unification Italy, the villa was confiscated by the Italian State and listed. It was purchased by a naval captain, Augustine Tesei, who bought it and tied its fate to his family.

In the second half of the sixties of the nineteenth century, after the purchase of the villa and the farms, Agostino left the conduct of the business to his brother Silvestro and moved into Pievecchia. Immediately he devoted himself to rearrange and organize the new property: He restored the main body and strengthen the old tower, mailed all the support necessary for the proper functioning of the farm. He then concentrated all activities related to the grape harvest, pressing of the olives and the grain retention. Augustine also modified various crops, bought new machines and bettered the lives and work of the estate staff.

Thanks to this commitment, the Pievecchia Farm was taken as an example of good conduct and considered cutting edge. Upon his death, Augustine left the Pievecchia to the eldest son of his brother Sylvester, Joseph, and they increased the value of the farm also by acquiring the nearby Tigliano Farm, built in the Chapel Park, improving the yield of the vineyards through processing; for this, Joseph called a group of trustworthy tenants from Elba who planted the vines of Procanico, Biancone and Anzanica.

In those years Joseph Tesei and his wife Virginia at his side, the Pievecchia experienced happy times, with distinguished guests and parties. But everything stopped in 1915 with the death of Joseph who had not had children, leaving all to his wife, Virginia, who left the bare ownership to a nephew who got rid of it a year after.

So Pievecchia changed hands numerous times and went ahead even with the terrible difficulties brought by the Second World War. After the War, the Pievecchia still went from hand to hand until reaching the current property that through years returned it to its former splendour, following the same principles that drove Augustine Tesei many years earlier.